Our Life Forever Changed

On January 23, 2017, at 11:23pm, we were blessed with the most beautiful baby girl.  We named her Evelyn Ann, and I may be biased, but I think she's absolutely perfect.  I don't want to go into detail concerning her birth, but if you're interested, you can check out My Labor and Delivery Story on YouTube.  Instead, I want to talk about how much has changed since she's come into our world.

Obviously having a baby turns everything upside-down.  All of a sudden, I've gone from having all the freedom in the world to being a servant to this two-foot-tall human being.  It can be incredibly draining, but I have to admit - I love it!  Our house is an absolute mess with dishes piled in the sink, soiled baby clothes thrown in the corner of our living room, and I'm lucky if I can get through the day without throw up in my hair.  But, those little fingers and toes, her cuddles, and that sweet little smile she gives me every time I walk into the room makes everything completely worth it.


I think Joe and I have adjusted pretty well to being parents, but one of the hardest things we've had to do is continue to make our marriage a priority.  We're both absolutely in love with Evelyn, but it can sometimes be difficult to remember that we need to put each other first - especially when we're both running on fumes.  I know the idea of putting your spouse above your child can be polarizing, but the way I see it is that to provide Evelyn with a stable environment where she knows exactly what is and isn't acceptable, Joe and I need to be a united front. 

Continuing to go out on dates has really helped us keep this mindset, though I have to admit, leaving for our dates isn't as much fun as it used to be.  I've gotten so used to being with Evelyn all the time that even the idea of leaving her for a couple of hours is really difficult.  Luckily, I have quite a few friends and family around that remind me how necessary these nights are, and are always willing to babysit for us!  Besides, once we're out, we always have a good time!


My favorite part of parenting by far is watching her learn new things!  I still remember showing Joe when she learned she could track people with her head.  She was in her car seat, and I walked from one side to the other.  It was as if she knew she was showing off a new trick, and had the biggest smile on her face!  Then, all of a sudden she's two months old, and has learned even more new things like how to grasp things with her hands, and how to roll from her stomach to her back!

She's smiling more and more each day, and although she has moments where she definitely likes to be by herself, she seems to want to spend more time with me.  I know I'm her source of food, but it's to the point where she's almost manipulative.  For example, I've put her down in her crib for a nap, and she'll start crying as though something is wrong.  Then, as soon as she sees me, she gives me the most adorable smile, and will refuse to fall asleep unless I lie down next to her.  We're still working on getting her into her crib, but she's only little once, so I'm okay taking it slow!


She's really been an absolute doll, and every day I thank God for her.  I'm so excited to see her continue to learn about the world around her, and see what kind of person she grows up to be.  She already has such a sweet and slightly mischievous personality emerging, and while I know every stage will have its challenges, I already know this path we're on is going to be worth it!  I have been trying to vlog a little bit of our new life, and if you're interested in seeing our little family grow up, certainly head over to my second channel, Brightwood Chateau!  These days are so precious to me, and I'm glad I'll have at least some days recorded to look back on.

Comments