How to Knit: Basic Mittens

A week or two ago, I put up a Cabled Mitten Pattern, and said that I would be putting up a basic mitten pattern soon.  Well, here it is!  I love this pattern, because even though it does look like a basic mitten, it also incorporates some more advanced techniques, as well.  It's also a versatile pattern, in that it can be worn on its own, layered together for added warmth, or used as a lining for other mittens. Personally, because I live in North Central Minnesota, I would highly recommend at least doubling them up for the added warmth and wind resistance, but it's entirely up to you!

Although I don't do this with all of my patterns, I did also decide to film a video talking through each of the steps of this pattern, so if you get confused, or aren't sure about a particular abbreviation, you can see how it's done here:


Materials
  • 1 Skein Baby Bee yarn in Naked
  • Size 7 Needles (or size needed to obtain guage)
  • Yarn Needle
Guage
20sts and 24 rows = 4"/10cm over St st.

Mitten (Make 2)
Cast on 48sts.
Rows 1-10: (k2, p2) across.
Row 11 (RS): (k14, k2tog) 3 times - 45sts.
Riw 12 (and all WS rows): purl.
Work St st until piece measures 3.5"/8.5cm from beg, ending on a WS row.
Thumb Gusset
Row 1: k21, kfb, kfb, k22 - 47sts.
Row 2 (and all WS rows): purl.
Row 3: k21, kfb, k2, kfb, k22 - 49sts.
Row 5: k21, kfb, k4, kfb, k22 - 51sts.
Row 7: k21, kfb, k6, kfb, k22 - 53sts.
Row 9: k21, kfb, k8, kfb, k22 - 55sts.
Row 11: k21, kfb, k10, kfb, k22 - 57sts.
Thumb
Row 1: k21, kfb k12, kfb, turn.
Row 2: p15, turn.
Row 3: k15, turn.
Repeat Rows 2-3 4 times more.
Row 4: p2tog 7 times, p1, turn.
Row 5: k2tog 4 times.
Break yarn, and thread tail through rem sts.  Pull tight.
Hand
Join yarn and k far 22sts.  Beg with purl row, work St st until piece measures 8"/20cm from beg, ending on a WS row.
Row 1: (ssk, k18, k2tog) twice - 40sts.
Row 2 (and all WS rows): purl.
Row 3: (ssk, k16, k2tog) twice - 36sts.
Row 5: (ssk, k14, k2tog) twice - 32sts.
Row 7: (ssk, k12, k2tog) twice - 28sts.
Row 9: (ssk, k10, k2tog) twice - 24sts.
Row 10: purl.
Bind off rem 24 sts using Kitchener St.  Seam side of thumb and hand, weaving in all loose ends.

Comments

  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.
    pearls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. This is gonna help me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What ply wool are you using? If you let me know it would help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you say 're-attach your yarn' you just mean a new piece and not the long string for the thumb right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed all instructions and it was very good so thank you so much for that. thing is, i was doing it for me years old girl so i tried estimating the number of stitches and rows but it ended it disproportional. could you please help me with the numbers for a child size? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used smaller yarn and needles with the same pattern and it seemed to work. I made it for a 12 year old with size 5 needles and the corresponding yarn. You can do it smaller or bigger if need be

      Delete
  6. After the 11th row for the thumb gusset do we do a 12th purled?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a novice, for Row 12 (and all WS rows) purl: it says "Work St st." What am I missing? What does "work St st" mean? I'm not finding the abbreviations. To me it means stitch stitch. Are you saying all the right sided rows are knit? I'm missing something here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it means Stockinette stitch! (knit 1 row, purl 1 row)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this great pattern, just what I was looking for. However, I'm a little lost on some of the abbreviations, so I watched the video, and though they are used in the video as well, they are not explained there either. Would you mind posting a key to all the abbreviations? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan, or anyone who's done this, would you mind posting a key to all the abbreviations used in this pattern? I see that someone else had trouble with this, so I think it would be useful. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. For anyone making this, i would like to say that the thumbs were a little bit short for me, so i would maybe do another row or two 👍 great pattern tho

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pattern is easy to follow,but is the measurement of 8 inches for the hand,from the thumb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its 3.5 inches not 8.5 inches lol

      Delete
    2. wait nevermind i see what you mean...

      Delete
    3. hello!!! for the 3.5 inches do i measure it from the beginning or from the beginning of stockinettes???

      Delete
    4. hi! i measured from when i started stockinette stitch :)

      Delete
  11. I'm on the thumb part and have no idea what you mean by turning the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me as well Alice.
      I'm lost here, I'm a beginner so even the k12 isn't explained well

      Delete
  12. Does anyone have any recommendations on increasing the width of the mitten? I made a pair of mittens for myself and they work great. I want to make some for my family members, but their hands are a different proportion to mine. I would like to increase the stitch count. Any tips would be great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment