Shepherd's Pie Recipe

As the weather gets colder, I start to crave comfort food more and more!  Plus, on those crisp, autumn days, it's kind of nice to heat the house up a little with the stove.  Maybe that's just me, but when it comes to heating our house, I like to do a little multitasking.  Anyway, one of my favorite comfort meals is shepherd's pie, which is one of those meals that can be done super fancy, or simply by combining whatever you have in your kitchen, and topping it with potatoes.  In this house, we do both!  But, the recipe I'm sharing with you today comes from Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals, and it is amazing!  I highly recommend trying it out!


Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs of potatoes (we use red potatoes)
  • 2 tbsp sour cream
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • paprika
Directions:

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender.


At the same time, preheat a large skillet and brown the hamburger with oil.  Season this with salt and pepper to taste, and once mostly cooked, add in chopped carrot and onion.


In a second, small skillet over medium heat, cook butter and flour together for two minutes.  Then, whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.  Let the gravy thicken about a minute.


Then, add the gravy to the meat and veggies and stir in the peas.


At this point, the potatoes should be ready, so drain the water and combine with sour cream, egg yolk, and chicken broth.  Mash together until potatoes are almost smooth.


Preheat broiler to high.  Fill a rectangular casserole pan with the beef and vegetable mix, then add the potatoes, and top with a sprinkle of paprika.


Broil until potatoes are lightly browned, and enjoy!


Well, I hope you guys have enjoyed this recipe!  As I've said before, I don't consider myself much of a cook, so when I do put up recipes on this blog, you can be sure that they are tried and true favorites in the Breitweser house, and I hope you enjoy them, too. :)

Comments