Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Sally Hansen Salon Effects // Lace Fabric

It is actually with a heavy heart that I write this post, which probably tells you right there what I thought of these stickers.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I love the plain old Sally Hansen stickers.  In fact, one of my favorite and most memorable manicures used the leopard print stickers and red polish that I wore when we went to pick up Cricket (you can actually glimpse it in a super old video here - and see baby Cricket!).  So, I'm in no way trying to say anything negative about Sally Hansen nail stickers in general.  However, these were not amazing.


They are the Salon Effects Fabric Nail Stickers, and the one I picked up was one of their lace manicures in Thread Lightly.  Now, you guys know my fondness for lace, so it's probably not surprising that I was drawn to these stickers, plus they look like they could be so pretty.  Really, if I hadn't tried them myself, seeing them in the photo above would likely still draw me to them.  However, it really was how they functioned that I didn't like.  They're incredibly stiff for nail stickers, which I did expect from stickers made from real fabric.  However, I did not anticipate that they would have difficulty bending enough to completely adhere to my nails.  They don't really do well when wet, they're just plain old uncomfortable, and don't last nearly as long as their nail polish stickers.


Ugh, I truly dislike throwing a product under the bus like this, but I want to be honest with you guys.  There just wasn't much I liked about them.  In fact, I'd say the only positive thing I can think of is that let's just be honest: they do look really pretty.  So, if you're willing to take the plunge and try these out for yourself, I do still want to give you a bit of advice: Do not put top coat over the entire nail.  Now, I wouldn't dream of doing this with the velvet or wool stickers, but the lace was so scratchy, I had to try something.  That was a mistake.


It really just got chunkier than it was, and even more uncomfortable, and I actually had to take them off halfway through the day.  But, maybe I'm just being a baby.  As I keep saying, they do look nice.  I love the way they look, but because of how they felt on the nail, I just can't see myself trying these again unless they completely revamp their texture.  They are limited edition, so if you are still thinking of trying them out for yourself, which I would advocate (who knows?  Maybe I'm just being a baby about this), they won't be around forever.  My personal thoughts though is this may be one of those collections to skip.

If you've tried these, I would love to know, and please tell me your honest opinion!  Maybe I'm just using them incorrectly or something - if there's a way to make them work, I'd love to know!  As I've said several times, I do think they're absolutely beautiful.  Bleh.  I just feel awful after writing this.  I don't know that I've ever negatively reviewed a product before, and it just makes me sad.  Hopefully I haven't scared you off, though, and you'll come back next Thursday for a much happier post!

No comments :

Post a Comment