Our Hydroponics Garden Update

You know, when I posted about our MiracleGro Aerogarden, I expected it would grow up, but I have to admit, I didn't expect it to play as big a role in our lives as it has.  First of all, let me point out that all of the plants pictured below are actually from the original Aerogarden.  Yes, you've seen all of them before.  Isn't it crazy how much they've grown???  Second, I'm sure you can tell they are no longer in the Aerogarden.  Allow me to explain.  After months of begging Joe for the little hydroponics garden, he went a little crazy with the hydroponics.


He decided that we needed a bigger hydroponics garden, so he found a tent lined with a reflective mylar surface to keep any light from escaping, and a big LED light that is shown later in this post.  Now, we've been getting a lot of crap about this, so I'm just going to say it now: no, we are not growing anything illegal in our garden.  Yes, a lot of this equipment is used for such purposes, but we don't experiment with that kind of thing!


Also, for anyone reading this post that may be a bit confused as to what hydroponics gardening even is, allow me to explain: essentially, this garden lives off of water and some nutrients we add every couple of weeks.  There's no dirt involved, so it's not messy or anything, and everything seems to be growing really quickly!  We've already been able to use our herbs pretty much non-stop, and have even given a lot of it away to friends and family members.  Our pride and joy, however, is our spaghetti squash, which you can see pictured below.  He was planted after my initial Aerogarden post, and has just been going crazy!


Honestly, we have put so much into this garden, from researching grow tents, to chatting with the guy that makes our LED lamp, figuring out ventilation, and even putting the lamp on a timer so that we can really just let it do its thing, I'm not even really sure what all to put into this post.  So, if you have any questions, feel free to ask away!  I'd be happy to answer anything I can!


In closing, though, I'd like to share with you a little time lapse we created one night.  I know the purple color is a bit odd, but it helps the plants grow faster.  This footage was taken over the span of about ten hours, and it's crazy to see how much the plants grow and move in just that amount of time!  Keep in mind, there is no wind.  Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this post, and if you have any questions or suggestions for us about hydroponics gardening, let us know!

Comments