Rusk Texture Dry Finishing Spray Medium Hold

If you've watched the videos I put up on my YouTube channel last month (which you really should!), you may have noticed that I talked about a particular hair product in both my May Favorites | 2015 and My Typical Hair Routine.  That product was the Rusk Texture Dry Finishing Spray in Medium Hold, and I absolutely love it.


I first tried a sample of this when it came in one of my Glossybox or Boxycharm boxes.  I can't remember which it was, but I fell in love with the way it worked right away.  However, there was a major downside: it smelled a lot like rubber cement.  I'm pleased to announce that they have since changed their formula for the better!  It works exactly the same, but has a pleasant scent that reminds me of some sea salt sprays, like Not Your Mother's Sea Salt Spray.


While this is marketed as a texturizing/hairspray type product, I do have to admit that I don't exactly use this as a hairspray.  I've had such a difficult time with hairspray, and usually just end up skipping that step completely or I layer it with the Suave Max Hold Hairspray.  If I curl my hair and just use this product on its own to lock in those curls, they usually fall out around noon.  :(


However, I love the way it gives my hair a little more texture, which in turn gives it more volume, and makes my hair look a little thicker, as well. This volume and thickness does actually remain intact through the entire day, which is pretty awesome, particularly since my hair does have a tendency to go flat.  The all over texture I get with this product is incredible, and really gives my hair that nice, relaxed beachy look that is amazing for summer, but without the weird sticky sensation of salt sprays!


So, even though I wouldn't exactly recommend this as a hairspray (still looking for the perfect one!), it does still do wonders for the texture and volume of my hair, and for that fact alone, I will be keeping this in my collection!  I do have to quick mention once again that I am so, so glad they changed the scent on this product!  It truly was awful before, but still would have been worth the purchase to me!

If you've tried this finishing spray before, let me know what you thought of it!  Oh, and if you know of any good hairsprays I should try, please, please let me know about that, too.  I feel like I've been searching for ages for a good hairspray that holds well, but doesn't make your hair feel weird.  Does such a thing exist???  Finally, make sure to come back here on Thursday if you're interested in another review!  This time it will be on a couple makeup products, and you won't want to miss it!  Until then, love you!

Comments

  1. Hi, I am a HUGE Rusk fan and have been for many years. This seems to be the best and most effective brand for me for volumeand great style control without any stiffness. Currently I own and/or use the Rusk Str8 (in humidity), Wired is used almost daily (which is a favorite for super texturizing and giving some thickness without any stiff or hard hold). I just purchased the dry spray mentioned here and the Rusk paste, (the verdict isn't in on the paste yet). Rusk Thick for volume with the blowdryer. And my Holy grail is the Rusk W8less hairspray. There's 2 holds, strong and extra strong hold. I use the strong as the extra strong hold can be a bit stiff. This spray is amazing as it gives hold without stiffness, it can be used on wet or dry hair prior to styling (i use it both ways) I used to spray it on my roots when I was wearing my hair curly and then blow drylightly and I'd get those nice texturized curls with separation. The one thing that I've found is that ALL of these products work best on hair that is cut regularly. Currently I now have an asymmetrical cut, where it's pretty long and very straight in front, very angled and short spikey in the back. It's the type of cut that requires the back to be cut every 8wks and needs good styling and good styling products to show off the details of the cut. But most of the products I mentioned were still a part of my daily routine even when my hair was very long (fine and wavy) all over. Specifically, back then I used the Wired, Thick, and W8less almost daily. I still test other product lines from time to time and I do use a few others, but Rusk is the best for me. The W8less spray is extremely versatile and when my hair was quite long, I used to do my own blowouts and sets. I used to spray a small section, use the big round brush while blow-drying, then after I did this all over or wherever I wanted curl and volume, I would set in big velcro type curlers and respray lightly and let it sit for 15-30 min. When I took them out my hair was so bouncy but would still lightly respray and it would last all day. After I took the rollers out, I might spray the roots slightly too, but again, the lighter hold spray isn't stiff and it's very workable/brushable so there was no build up or stiffness and smells great! I don't know if you're familiar with this spray and how many different ways it can be used and how well it works in conjunction with other Rusk products but honestly how many hairsprays can be used in both wet AND dry hair?! Anyway, that's my best Rusk story. I hope you too find your Holy grail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am a HUGE Rusk fan and have been for many years. This seems to be the best and most effective brand for me for volumeand great style control without any stiffness. Currently I own and/or use the Rusk Str8 (in humidity), Wired is used almost daily (which is a favorite for super texturizing and giving some thickness without any stiff or hard hold). I just purchased the dry spray mentioned here and the Rusk paste, (the verdict isn't in on the paste yet). Rusk Thick for volume with the blowdryer. And my Holy grail is the Rusk W8less hairspray. There's 2 holds, strong and extra strong hold. I use the strong as the extra strong hold can be a bit stiff. This spray is amazing as it gives hold without stiffness, it can be used on wet or dry hair prior to styling (i use it both ways) I used to spray it on my roots when I was wearing my hair curly and then blow drylightly and I'd get those nice texturized curls with separation. The one thing that I've found is that ALL of these products work best on hair that is cut regularly. Currently I now have an asymmetrical cut, where it's pretty long and very straight in front, very angled and short spikey in the back. It's the type of cut that requires the back to be cut every 8wks and needs good styling and good styling products to show off the details of the cut. But most of the products I mentioned were still a part of my daily routine even when my hair was very long (fine and wavy) all over. Specifically, back then I used the Wired, Thick, and W8less almost daily. I still test other product lines from time to time and I do use a few others, but Rusk is the best for me. The W8less spray is extremely versatile and when my hair was quite long, I used to do my own blowouts and sets. I used to spray a small section, use the big round brush while blow-drying, then after I did this all over or wherever I wanted curl and volume, I would set in big velcro type curlers and respray lightly and let it sit for 15-30 min. When I took them out my hair was so bouncy but would still lightly respray and it would last all day. After I took the rollers out, I might spray the roots slightly too, but again, the lighter hold spray isn't stiff and it's very workable/brushable so there was no build up or stiffness and smells great! I don't know if you're familiar with this spray and how many different ways it can be used and how well it works in conjunction with other Rusk products but honestly how many hairsprays can be used in both wet AND dry hair?! Anyway, that's my best Rusk story. I hope you too find your Holy grail!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment