Thursday, June 18, 2015

MiracleGro Aerogarden

What?  Another gardening post?  Yes!  Yes, it is.  This time, it's centered around the MiracleGro Aerogarden system, which is appealing because it takes the 'Megan' out of gardening.  I've mentioned before that I am not much of a gardener, much as I'd like to be, and this hydroponic system essentially takes care of itself.  All of the plants in this post are only 10 days old, and yet you can definitely tell what each of them are, already!  Well, mostly, anyway.  We have one labeled "Curly Parsley" that doesn't look like anything, but I'll get to that in a moment.


As I said, this is a hydroponic system, which means the plants essentially grow in water, so there's no dirt whatsoever.  It also has a built in LED light, so it controls how much sunlight these plants are getting, but just wait!  There's more.  There's an electronic panel on the front of this unit that, in addition to being impossible to photograph, tells you exactly how to take care of your plants.  It tells you how old the plants are, tells you how much and when to add plant food, etc.  Like I said, it almost completely takes me out of my garden!


At least so far, these herbs are doing much better than my Tiny Tea Tin Garden Experiment.  Those plants do seem to be growing, but at a much slower pace.  I have heard rumors that plants grown in these Aerogardens don't taste as good, but since these are just 10 days old, I haven't been able to test this myself.  Honestly, though, if they're easier to grow, and I have access to them all the time, I think it's a fair trade off.  Plus, we can grow food all year long, even through the cold, Minnesota winters!


So, I'm sure you're wondering what I meant about the "Curly Parsley" thing.  Well, as you can see from the photo below, nothing's really growing in there.  That's actually perfectly fine, because we kind of sort of tampered with it, and there's not even parsley in there anymore.


Instead, we cut some rockwool down, and stuck that in the little MiracleGro seed pods, and decided to try planting something else.  Honestly, this one was Joe's idea.  I feel like every couple weeks I'm telling you about how our family has taken apart something new to find out how it works or try and improve it.  But, I think both of our parents would vouch for us, and say that we've been doing that since we were kids.  Anyway, we're growing spinach in this little guy, so we'll see how it does!


So far, I've really been enjoying our Aerogarden.  It's already become such a habit to check on it when we get up, and again when we get off work.  I don't know why, but it's just so fun to see our little plants growing!  When they're old enough, we'll probably transplant the herbs, and try growing tomatoes or peppers in this thing, but we'll see.  I'll try and keep you updated on them!

I hope you've enjoyed this second 'garden' post of the summer, and I hope you'll come back on Saturday!  I have a recipe coming that may or may not use an herb shown in this post...well, not any of these specific herbs, but you know what I mean, right?  Anyway, as always, I'd love to know what your guesses are as to what it will be, so please be sure to leave them in the comment section!  I'll talk to you again on Saturday!

No comments :

Post a Comment