Saturday, May 30, 2015

Spaghetti Squash Recipe

Have you tried spaghetti squash, yet?  Joe's a little on the fence about it, but I really kind of love it!  It's so easy and fun to make up, healthier than regular spaghetti, and still similar enough that you don't really notice you're eating squash!  If you haven't tried it, yet, and are wondering how to prepare it, then this is the post for you.  I'll take you through exactly what I do!


All you really need is a spaghetti squash and some marinara sauce, though you could also brown some hamburger, add a chicken breast, tofu, whatever your heart desires.  Personally, I can be very lazy when I'm cooking, so if I'm just cooking for me (as in this case) I just stick with the marinara sauce.  My favorite is the Classico Tomato and Basil marinara, but we had just run out, so I used this Four Cheese one.  Let's just say I'll be going back to the Tomato and Basil.


First, cut the squash in half lengthwise.  I like to prepare half the squash at a time, so I'll vacuum seal one to use later, and scoop out the seeds of the half I intend to eat.  This is always the step where I think of carving pumpkins, which makes cooking a little more fun. :)


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  While you're waiting for your oven to be ready, put about 2" of water in an oven safe dish, then add the squash so that the cut edge is submerged in the water.  This will help it cook evenly.  Bake for 45 minutes.


When the 45 minutes is up, drain the water, and let the squash cool for a bit.  Once it's cool enough to touch, use a fork, and scrape the edges.  This will cause the squash's meat to fall off just like spaghetti noodles.


Transfer a serving size of these noodles to a plate, and top it off with some marinara sauce.  It tastes even better if you heat the marinara sauce in a small pan before adding to your noodles, and you get bonus points for topping the whole thing off with some basil!  


Like I said, I love eating this as a healthy meal, but I have seen other recipes that use spaghetti squash as a noodle substitute, including an Asian noodle bowl.  So, if you've tried any of those recipes, let me know which are your favorites!  Now that I feel I've perfected this traditional spaghetti squash dish, I'm ready to try and undertake something new!

Make sure to stop on by next Tuesday, too!  I'll be talking about a hair product that I think I've now fully decided that I can't live without.  I know you're curious as to what that could be!  So, I'll just be waiting here until then, expecting you. ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment