Recycling Our Wedding Flowers

A couple weeks ago, I posted a picture of this wreath on Instagram, but if I'm being completely honest, the lighting was really not all that awesome, and I just don't think it did this wreath justice.  Or, I suppose it could be that I personally just really love it, and wanted to share it with you again!  As I'm sure you already know by the title of this post, this decor item is really special to me, because it uses some of the flowers from our wedding!


As I'm sure you've guessed, we used silk flowers for our wedding, that I actually did a post on a couple years ago (you can see it here).  We chose to do silk flowers for several reasons, such as: we could have them made up and ready in advance, we didn't have to worry about them falling apart, and we could reuse them later!  However, apart from using my personal bouquet as a decoration for my jewelry display, I didn't really have plans for any of the other flowers.  Until, that is, I came up with this wreath.


The main flowers, the roses, are actually boutonnieres from Joe and a couple of his groomsmen that I simply attached to this grapevine wreath with a hot glue gun.  It's hard to tell now, but each of the roses was attached to a little sprig of grey feathers, adding a bit of softness, and Joe's (pictured above) also had a tiny bit of eucalyptus attached to it, which I love.  The rest of the flowers actually came from my throw away bouquet, which we completely forgot about that day...oops.  I am a little disappointed about that one, because I had an awesome song picked out for it - You Can't Hurry Love by the Supremes.


As for the other side of this wreath, since I'm still kind of a newlywed, I've been essentially sticking the letter 'B' on pretty much everything, since my last name is now Breitweser. (try figuring out how to say that one!  Better yet, send me a video of you trying to say it!).  So, I grabbed a little wooden letter from a craft store in town, then painted it an off-white. While I was letting that dry, I hot glued some moss to the right edge of my wreath, and topped it of with the 'B'!  All that was left to do was hang it on our door!


The picture above is honestly just a better shot of the flowers I used from my throw away bouquet.  I absolutely love these flowers!  I think I'm going to have to get more of these at some point.  I would love to have some of them in a vase somewhere.  Maybe when we get a permanent home...


Okay, last picture, but I had to get a shot of our wreath holder!  I found this at Pier 1 around Christmas this past year, and it makes me so happy!  It's just a simple bronze deer head, but I think it looks so classy.  We can have it up all year 'round, and since the deer head is so close to the top of the door, it's always a surprise to people when they notice it!

So, there you go!  That's how we decided to recycle some of our silk flowers!  I hope that this has given you some ideas on what you can do with some old silk flowers - particularly ones that have sentimental value.  Also, even though we do have this outside, I did want to quick mention that I am keeping a pretty close eye on it, watching for weather damage.  I imagine at some point I'll have to bring it inside, but for right now, I love coming home to it!

Comments