Friday, August 8, 2014

February Sweater: Pleated Blouse

To those of you just stumbling upon this blog, I would like to first and foremost welcome you!  You may be a bit confused by this post, as it is not February, nor is it sweater weather at all.  Allow me to explain.  In April of this year, I decided that I wanted to set a goal for myself to knit a sweater for every month of the year.  I've done quite well, but since I started in April, I've had to play a little bit of catch-up.  After this sweater, I just have to complete January's sweater, and I'm back on track!


For those of you that have read these posts before, you may also be confused, since every other time I've done a monthly sweater post, I've done two separate posts: one where I talk about the sweater, and one where I put an outfit together with it.  Well, with my wedding coming up so quickly, (56 days!) I really haven't been a very good blogger/vlogger.  I've had fewer posts going up, which is good for my time, but I figured that if I were to continue doing fewer posts, I should probably put a little more effort into them.  Thus, I'm combining the two posts.


Having said that, this was another fun sweater to make.  It's a lovely, drop waist sweater made from a pale pink baby yarn that has bell sleeves (which always seem to add a touch of elegance), some drop stitch detailing, and a beautiful keyhole collar that is kept closed by a little hook and eye clasp.  This was the first time that I've ever used a clasp like this for anything, but I absolutely love it, and will have to try it again sometime.  It just looks so much more polished and professional, rather than that, "Why, yes, I did make it myself".  The other skill I learned in knitting this sweater was how to knit pleats.  I'd never done that before, and I really don't know that I would have been able to figure it out on my own!


As for my outfit, I wanted to point out just a few of my favorite pieces.  First, there's this lipstick from Appeal Cosmetics called Kitten that I received in a recent Boxycharm box.  It's a really pretty, frosty baby pink that I doubt I would have picked out for myself, but I've found that I quite like it on my fair skin, and adore it with this sweater.  That's one nice thing about subscription boxes: they have you try out products you wouldn't otherwise think you'd like!


Then, there's this nail polish from OPI.  I've actually been trying to let my nails go naked a little more to try and get them a little healthier, but then I rediscovered this lovely, super pale, lilac-pink shade, Don't Bossa Nova Me Around.  It's a lovely, almost natural color, with just that little hint of color that makes your nails look polished and sophisticated.


Finally, my booties.  To my knowledge, I have never owned a pair of booties, but I'm making up for lost time, now!  I found them at Target for less that $30, and have essentially been living in them.  They have about a 2 1/2" chunky heel, so they're easy to walk in, and I am in love with the buckle detailing they have on the sides.  The buckles and zipper are purely cosmetic elements - you can see the real zipper on the bootie in the back - which is absolutely fine with me, since it's easier to get them on and off.


Although I wouldn't recommend wearing a sweater in the middle of August, I do really like this particular one, and it's just one more reason I'm beginning to look forward to fall.  I already have six new sweaters I can wear as soon as it gets a little colder!  As I've said before, if you make any of the sweaters I've shown on this blog, or if you just want to show off sweaters you've made, make sure to tweet or Instagram me @meganandpearls with the hashtag, #makingsweaters!

My Outfit
Sweater: Vogue Knitting | Jeans: JCPenney | Bangles: White House Black Market (gift) | Booties: Target (similar) | Nail Polish: OPI Don't Bossa Nova Me Around | Lipstick: Appeal Cosmetics Kitten

Past Sweaters

1 comment :

  1. Loved that post and such a cool goal!
    You are really talented.
    xoxo Livia

    http://cherry-ish.blogspot.ch/

    ReplyDelete