Friday, October 18, 2013

Megan's Toddy Recipe

Let me start by saying that I don't really know what toddy is supposed to taste like.  I know it's supposed to have whisky in it, and help when people are sick, but that's it.  I have not been able to taste a true toddy, and the closest exposure I've had to it has been the Spiced Apple Toddy candle from Bath & Body Works that I really, really hope they bring back again (It's like the legendary Leaves candle, but better).  So, for you toddy lovers out there, please do not be surprised if it doesn't taste a thing like actual toddy - I really just made a recipe of it taste good to me.


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 1 spiced chai tea bag - I like the one from Stash
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1-2 shots Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum
  • dash of cinnamon
  • dash of nutmeg
  • a few whole cloves
  • apple for garnish
  • brown sugar (optional)

To start out with, I take a glass, and fill it halfway with water.  I then toss this into a pot, and get it boiling.  Then, I take that same glass, and fill it halfway with apple cider.  I only put the apple cider on low heat to warm it up a little, but not boil it.  While I'm letting these two liquids heat up, sometimes I'll rim the glass with brown sugar, then toss a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of lemon juice into the glass.

Once the water starts to boil, remove from the heat, and toss in a spiced chai tea bag.  I really like the one from Stash for this.  Let it steep, while you prepare the rest of the rimmed glass.

Using the glass as the mixing medium from this point on, I add an eyeball shot of Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum, which all my friends and I have agreed basically means 1 1/2 - 2 shots - you can of course change this to your desired strength.  Add in a dash of Nutmeg, Cinnamon, and a few whole Cloves, and the apple cider and chai tea should be ready to pour in.  Simply add both of these liquids to the rimmed glass, and stir until well mixed.  

If you're feeling particularly festive, you can also add an apple slice as a garnish, and there you have it!  My little toddy recipe.  I hope you have enjoyed this recipe, and if you try it, make sure to let me know what you think!  Please be of legal drinking age, though.  I don't want any of you breaking the law!

No comments :

Post a Comment