Nail Rock Velvet Manicure

Even though I don't remember the first time I laid eyes on a velvet manicure - I don't even remember if I'd seen it on Pinterest or if I was in Sephora, and saw the one from Ciate - I do remember thinking that it was the coolest thing ever.  I have this weird habit where I rub my nails when I'm stressed, and all I kept thinking about was how nice it would feel to have a blanket on my nails.  So, naturally, I couldn't wait to try it out.  Problem was, I couldn't justify picking up a Ciate manicure set.  I think they're absolutely adorable, and I'd love to try one, but I'm just not quite ready.  Taking the DIY route wasn't much better, either, since I couldn't find any of the crushed velvet required.


Then, I stumbled upon this Nail Rock Velvet Manicure set, which as far as I can tell is the drugstore version of Ciate.  So, I grabbed a set that actually matches my favorite autumn shoes, perfectly, and home we went, so I could try it out that very night.  It's actually a really easy manicure process, and within a few minutes, I was gazing lovingly at my fuzzy little blanket nails, waiting for them to dry.


There are only two steps involved in this manicure, and both are really easy.  First, the directions say to apply two coats of the base polish, but I found that you couldn't get a nice, opaque base with just two coats.  An opaque bas coat is really important, too, because as the velvet starts to wear off, it can stay fuzzy and feel really cool, but they start to look a little spotty.  So, I would recommend adding another coat or two, for an opaque finish.  After that, you just dip your still wet nail into the crushed velvet, roll it around a little to make sure it's covered, then gently pat down any little clumps to make sure the velvet is nice and even.  This step was really easy, and much less messy that I'd anticipated, but what made it even easier was when I realized how tightly the velvet was packaged, and loosened it up a little!


This is such a fun manicure, and I'm sure I'll be wearing it a lot in the coming months, but I'm curious - what do you think?  Is this something you would wear?  Let me know in the comment section below, and if you've already tried a velvet manicure, let me know how you did it, and if you liked it!

Comments