Cheap Chic: Rimmel Show Off Lip Lacquers

Okay, let's get this over with before I even get into this post.  If you've heard of these little guys before, you probably know that over in the UK, they are called the Rimmel Apocalips glosses.  This is an infinitely better name than Rimmel "Show Off" Lip Lacquers, and I think we can all agree on this.  That being said, if you haven't heard of them, yet, you're missing out!

Why couldn't I have been an Apocalips?

These little glosses were right around $5 a piece, and they are phenomenal!  I did have to search a little after hearing several UK bloggers/vloggers rave about them, but finally found them at my local Walgreens - okay, I didn't have to search that hard.  I even got really lucky, and got my choice of all twelve colors this lacquer comes in!  I found Luna first, which is a really pretty coral color, simply because I've really been liking coral lately, and I thought it would be good for summer.  Then, realizing that Luna would be lonely if I only got one, I picked up Nude Eclipse as well.

Luna

Now, I'm sure you already know what color Nude Eclipse is (just in case, it's a really pretty nude!), but I do have to quick mention that I have been scavenging my drugstores for a good nude color, and simply had not found one.  Or at least not one that I like on myself.  I didn't have super high hopes for this one either, since I hadn't really had much luck with the other nudes I tried, but this might actually be my favorite of these lacquers.  I'm not sure, because I love all of them, but I love it so much, and it's already my go-to nude.

Nude Eclipse

So, I had a coral, and a glorious nude.  What's next?  Pink.  Because pink is always in.  That's how Out of This World came into my collection, and it's just a fun, bright, frosty pink.  This was the only one that I picked up that had actually shimmer to it, and is definitely a fun girl's night out kind of color!  Finally, I grabbed Big Bang, because I realized that I'd gotten the pink, the coral, and the nude, so a nice, bright red was the only color I was missing! 

Out of This World and Big Bang

Since I'm sure now you're quite bored of me talking about how amazing the colors of these glosses are, let's get down to the nitty gritty of this review.  First off, when you apply these, it feels exactly like you're putting on a regular lip gloss.  However, the color payoff is incredible, as you can see from the swatches below.  This is essentially the same amount as I would put on my lips, and since I'm lazy, that means one coat.  Yes, one.  They have the same pigmentation of most lipsticks.

As for staying power, I've read on a few blogs that they last about 4 hours, however I'm unable to confirm this at this time, because each time I've gone to test it, I've been offered food, which kind of cuts down on the length of time a lip product will stay on your lips.  Finally, they have a distinct Rimmel smell, which is the one thing that seems to make or break this product for a lot of people.  Personally, I think it smells kind of fruity, which I like, but I have heard other people describe it as plasticy, and so foul they don't ever reach for it.  So, I would go take a whiff and make sure you like the smell before purchasing the whole lot.

Also, please make sure that the gloss you pick up has not already been used!  You can tell by twisting the cap up a bit if the outer sticker has been opened, and if you see color, put that sucker back.  There should just be white plastic, because once you do open it, and take the wand out for the first time, that little plastic bit fills with color.

From left: Out of This World, Luna, Nude Eclipse, and Big Bang

Well, now you know my opinion on these lip lacquers.  I want to know yours!  If you've tried these, please let me know what you thought in the comment section below, and if there are any other colors I should try, I would love to know that, too!

I hope you're having a extraordinary day!

Love,
Megan

Comments